Identification & Functionality
- Chemical Family
- Chemical Name
- Base Chemicals Functions
- Molecular formula
- Product Families
Applications & Uses
- Applicable Processes
Because of their high reactivity amines, either as such or in the form of their derivatives, find numerous uses in a wide range of fields. The most important applications for the alkylamines in our product range are the following:
- as intermediates for the synthesis of herbicides, fungicides and insecticides and for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals (anesthetics, antibiotics, antiseptics)
- as catalysts for chemical reactions, polymerization reactions and polycondensation reactions
- as starting compounds for the manufacture of corrosion inhibitors, emulsifiers (am-photeric surfactants), flotation aids, detergents and ion exchange resins
- for the manufacture of chemicals for rubber processing, e.g. vulcanization accelerators and antioxidants as well as stabilizers, antistatic agents and plasticizers
- as intermediates for the synthesis of dye components, and textile auxiliaries
- as synthesis starting products for the manufacture of antistatic and impregnating agents for textiles
- as hardeners for epoxy resins
- in the form of solvents or reactive solvents, for example in metal extraction
- for the manufacture of developers in the photographic industry
- for the manufacture of anticaking agents
- as a component of additives for the gasoline and lubricant sector
|Value||Units||Test Method / Conditions|
|Assay||min. 98||wt %||—|
|Water Content||max. 0.2||wt %||—|
|Normal Boiling Point||149.0||°C||—|
|Density (at 20°C)||0.8||g/cc||—|
|Solubility in Water (at 20°C)||0.29||wt %||—|
Safety & Health
- Safety Notes
- As the liquid alkylamines are strong, lipidsoluble bases, they are corrosive to the skin and mucous membranes, and therefore it is imperative to avoid contact with these.
- Amine vapors, if inhaled, cause inflammation of the respiratory organs. Even in low concentrations amine vapors cause damage to the conjunctiva.
- The maximum workplace concentrations of the low boiling amines are approximately the same as the value for ammonia.
- In view of these physiological properties alkylamines must be regarded as dangerous substances as defined in the German regulations on dangerous substances.
- When alkylamines are handled, protective clothing, gloves and close-fitting goggles must be worn. Splashes on the skin must be washed off immediately with plenty of water. Splashes in the eyes must be treated in the same way (eye wash bottles). Inhalation of alkylamine vapors must be avoided. Clothing splashed with the product must be changed immediately.
- If the eyes are damaged, a doctor must be called at once.